A new day for animals.
Let's face it, The human race is a sore winner. By most accounts, we were dealt the high biological hand - and never let animals forget it. We take advantage of our evolved faculties to confine, abuse and exploit animals by the billions. In fact, our evolved ability to know right from wrong should direct us to extend consideration and care to animals. Fortunately, change is happening.
From the cage-free hen movement to animal testing alternatives, changing attitudes toward zoos & performing animals, elevation of vegan cuisine and non-animal fashions, concern about animal welfare is becoming mainstream wherever you fall on the spectrum.
Humane Outlook is a news, awareness & action curator built on three core principles:
- Progress, not perfection. Factory farming of animals, meat consumption, fur clothing and animal testing are all ingrained in our society and economy. Do what you can today, do more tomorrow.
- Animals lives have value to them. It is unsupportable to justify animal abuse by its benefit to humans.
- Animal welfare is about people. Beyond animals' intrinsic interests, how we treat them substantially defines who we are as individuals and a society.
What We DO
- Gather important news of animal welfare from many sources and present it in context.
- Offer select, important ways to take action or make your voice heard as part of tomorrow's majority.
- Present clear, concise outlines of major schools of thought that justify concern for animal welfare.
Humane Outlook is edited by Brian Cooley, an animal advocate since 2001 and member of the board of directors of the Marin Humane Society.